VINALHAVEN    

On Line Genealogy Page



Welcome to Vinalhaven, Maine

Four Lighthouses Grace
this Beautiful Island off the Maine coast.

History

The area of which Vinalhaven was a part was York County until 1760 when it became part of Lincoln County.

Vinalhaven was in Lincoln County from 1760 until 1789 when it became part of Hancock County.

Vinalhaven was incorporated as a town in Hancock County on the 25th of June, 1789. It was Hancock until 1839.

In1839 Vinalhaven became part of Waldo County, remaining so until 1860.

In 1860 it became part of the new Knox County, as it still is today. Until 1846, when North Haven was incorporated as a separate town, Vinalhaven included North Haven.

History of Vinalhaven

Features

The town of Vinalhaven is located in the Fox Islands in Knox County, Maine. The population was 1,235 at the 2000 census. It is home to a thriving lobster fishery and hosts a summer colony. Since there is no bridge to the island, Vinalhaven is accessible from Rockland via an approximately hour and fifteen minute ferry ride across West Penobscot Bay, or by air taxi from the Rockland airport.On Vinalhaven, people swim in clear, fresh water. The deep quarries have penetrated the water table. .

In and around it are:

Heron Neck Light

Brown's Head Light

Goose Rocks Light

Saddleback Ledge Light

Sources

    Sena Spear Havasy
    KnoxGenWeb Coordinator

    Most recent revision October 2012